|Darling with the unusually large chili.|
And lately, at the market they've been selling these extra long red chillies. It tastes the same as the regular length chillies but its just really long. So Darling and I called it 'mutant chili ninja vegetable'. ;-)
The video is a bit long. It's almost 17 minutes. But honestly it didn't feel long while we were making it. Editing it was a different matter altogether. ;-) And oh...you'll hear me singing Teenage Dream as well on the video. I've been humming that song for the past week. Help me please! ;-D
So here is the recipe. Have fun making it. Its kinda hectic but its truly worth it.
• 5 red chili (lada merah).
• 6 shallots (bawang kecil).
• 2 to 3 garlic (bawang putih).
• 3 to 4 Indian bay leaves (daun salam).
• 4 lemon grass (serai).
• 1/2 inch of ginger (halia).
• 1/2 inch of galangal (lengkuas).
• 1/2 fresh turmeric (kunyit hidup) or 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder (serbuk kunyit).
• 5 candle nut (buah keras).
• Lime juice (jus limau) from 2 limes.
• 1 to 2 turmeric leaves (daun kunyit).
• Coconut milk (santan), 2 cups of thick creamy coconut milk and 2 cups of diluted coconut milk.
• Coarse salt
• Preheat the oven at 175°C. And cover your baking tray with aluminium foil.
• Heat up your wok with some oil. When its hot, pour all the blended ingredients into the wok. Leave to boil while stirring it.
• Once the oil starts rising, add the thick coconut milk and mix well. Then add some of the diluted coconut milk and leave to boil.
• When it starts boiling, add the chicken, the turmeric leaves, the lemongrass and the Indian bay leaves. Mix it well and then add the lime juice.
• Have a bit of taste to test the salt. Add more salt if desired. Leave till the chicken is half cooked.
• When the chicken is half cooked, move the chicken to the baking tray, wet it slightly with the gravy and put it into the oven.
• Leave the balance of the gravy on the flame for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken it.
• The chicken needs to be in the oven for 30 minutes but for every 7 to 10 minutes, bask the chicken with the leftover gravy.
• So after 30 minutes, take the chicken out and turn each piece over. Put the chicken back into the oven till its crispy (around 10 minutes, I think).
• Once done serve the chicken on a plate and pour the gravy on the chicken before serving.
Yummy... it's like ayam percik but tastier.
Here is the video.
So... masak lah dengan kasih sayang. Memang lagi sedap. Enjoy!