|Fish soup ready to be served|
When this fish soup was being made, my mum and I were not feeling too well. My stomach was slightly unsettled and my mum was feeling a bit under the weather. So we decided to have something light. Mum had a couple of fish head and she decided to make something her mum made for her when she was young and unwell. You can use other fish body parts. Using the head is optional. This soup is actually quite easy. Minimal ingredients and easy steps. You can add different types of vegetables to the soup but just make sure the harder type vegetables ie potatoes, goes in earlier to soften it nicely while the soup is cooking.
• 7 shallots (bawang merah), sliced.
• 5 garlic (bawang putih), sliced.
• 1 inch of ginger (halia), pound the ginger with a bit of garlic and salt.
• 1/2 tablespoon of black pepper powder (lada hitam).
• 1/2 tablespoon of sweet cumin powder (jintan manis).
• 1/2 tablespoon of white cumin powder (jintan putih).
• Fermented bean paste (tauchu), washed.
• Cabbage (kobis), cut into squares.
• Carrot (lobak merah), sliced.
• Cucumber (timun), sliced.
• Celery leaves (daun sup), sliced.
• Spring onion (daun bawang) sliced.
• 1/4 anchovy cube (Kuib ikan bilis).
• Some water (air).
• Salt (garam).
• Heat up wok with some oil.
• Add the pounded ginger and garlic. Then add the remainder of the sliced garlic and shallots.
• Then add the cumin powder and black pepper powder and mix them well.
• Once its mixed well, add water, mix and leave to boil.
• When it starts to boil a bit, add the fermented bean paste into the wok. Then add the cabbage, carrot, cucumber and the fish into the wok.
• Add water so that the fish is covered with water and put in the anchovy cube in. Leave to boil for about 10 minutes. Add some salt to taste and its ready to be served.
• Garnish the soup with celery leaves and spring onions. ;-)
Here is the video. Its a slightly sombre one compared to the other ones. We were really not well. ;-P