Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sup Ikan (Fish Soup)

Fish soup ready to be served
This dish was done way before raya haji but I have been so so busy since that I've only edited it today. I will be doing tons of editing today for this blog cause I'm way behind. ;-) Coming up after this soup is ikan bakar, serunding, acar tomato and something else that I can't seem to remember right now.

When this fish soup was being made, my mum and I were not feeling too well. My stomach was slightly unsettled and my mum was feeling a bit under the weather. So we decided to have something light. Mum had a couple of fish head and she decided to make something her mum made for her when she was young and unwell. You can use other fish body parts. Using the head is optional. This soup is actually quite easy. Minimal ingredients and easy steps. You can add different types of vegetables to the soup but just make sure the harder type vegetables ie potatoes, goes in earlier to soften it nicely while the soup is cooking.

The Ingredients
• Fish, use the bigger type fish for this soup. We've used the Golden Snapper (ikan jenahak).
• 7 shallots (bawang merah), sliced.
• 5 garlic (bawang putih), sliced.
• 1 inch of ginger (halia), pound the ginger with a bit of garlic and salt.
1/2 tablespoon of black pepper powder (lada hitam).
1/2 tablespoon of sweet cumin powder (jintan manis).
1/2 tablespoon of white cumin powder (jintan putih).
• Fermented bean paste (tauchu), washed.
• Cabbage (kobis), cut into squares.
• Carrot (lobak merah), sliced.
• Cucumber (timun), sliced.
• Celery leaves (daun sup), sliced.
• Spring onion (daun bawang) sliced.
1/4 anchovy cube (Kuib ikan bilis).
• Some water (air).
• Salt (garam).

The Method
• Heat up wok with some oil.
• Add the pounded ginger and garlic. Then add the remainder of the sliced garlic and shallots.
• Then add the cumin powder and black pepper powder and mix them well.
• Once its mixed well, add water, mix and leave to boil.
• When it starts to boil a bit, add the fermented bean paste into the wok. Then add the cabbage, carrot, cucumber and the fish into the wok.
• Add water so that the fish is covered with water and put in the anchovy cube in. Leave to boil for about 10 minutes. Add some salt to taste and its ready to be served.
• Garnish the soup with celery leaves and spring onions. ;-)

Here is the video. Its a slightly sombre one compared to the other ones. We were really not well. ;-P

 

So... masak lah dengan kasih sayang. Memang lagi sedap. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Fantastic, I have just been to an Anyer in Java and had this dish for the first time, right at the end of my stay in Jakarta. I'm in England now and I'm going to try to reproduce this amazing dish, I just hope I can find the right ingredients and some good fish. Wish me luck and I'll tell you how it goes!!!

    Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anthony, I'm sure everything will turn out well but please keep me posted.

    Sham

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there, i just wanna drop by a comment to let you know that this blog is such a GREAT help coz im still learning to cook all these great dishes and find it hard to understand certain name of ingredients. tq so much for the translation in dual malay-eng. cant wait for more recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking for this since long time. I must going to try this at home and you have put everything in frame accurately so I just hope that it works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect dish to have in winters, since it is summer season now can't have it. Going to keep recipe with me and will try this out in winter season

    ReplyDelete