• 10 to 13 shallots (bawang kecil).
• 4 to 5 garlic (bawang putih).
• 2 inches of ginger (halia).
• 6 to 8 small chilies (cili padi).
• 2 sticks of lemon grass (serai).
• 2 tablespoons of dried chili paste (cili boh).
• 2 inches of galangal (lengkuas).
• 2 kg of thick coconut milk (santan pekat)
• 3 tablespoon of kerisik (grated, toasted and grounded coconut) prepared earlier.
• Marinade the beef (salt added to the beef at this point) with all the blended ingredients. Leave for at least 5 minutes, more if you're not in a hurry.
• Heat up your wok with oil. Once oil is hot, put in the beef and the marinade into wok.
• Add a bit of water and leave to boil. This is to tenderise the beef. Keep stirring so that the beef don't get burnt.
• Leave to boil while stirring it for 10 to 15 minutes. The liquid will get dry and the beef tender.
• When the gravy gets dry, add the thick coconut milk and mix well. Leave to boil while keep stirring.
• The coconut milk will get thicker. When that happens add kerisik into the rendang and mix well. Leave for it to dry. At this point, the aroma is just yummy.
• When its dry enough, turn the flame off. If you prefer it very dry, keep a low flame on and let it dry. We like it with a bit of gravy.
• When it cools down, its ready to be served. You can eat it with lemang. Even the thought makes me salivate. Yum!!
Here is the video. This was done in a bit of a rush... well when i say rush, it really means I didn't really spend too much time on it. Yikes! So here goes...
So... masak lah dengan kasih sayang. Memang lagi sedap. Enjoy!