Sunday, October 3, 2010

Goreng Limpa Berempah (Fried Spiced Spleen)

Its been 2 weeks since my last post, so you are gonna get a few posts today...well I hope today lah. Goreng Limpa Berempah is one of my favourites from my mum. Served with rice. You can also eat it with bread. Its been awhile since we had this. I hope the video explains it better than my writing. ;-)

Here goes...

The Ingredients
Limpa (cow spleen). Dipped in hot water and remove the skin. Then slice thinly. Mix with salt.
• 10 bawang kecil (shallots).
• 3 to 4 bawang putih (garlic).
• 2 inches of halia (ginger).
• 6 to 8 cili padi (small chillies).
• 2 sticks of serai (lemon grass).
• 2 tablespoons of cili boh (dried chilli paste).
• 2 inches of lengkuas (galangal).
Santan pekat (thick coconut milk)
• Salt
• 3 tablespoon of kerisik (grated, toasted and grounded coconut). This needs to be prepared earlier. I will try post how to make this at some point but you can buy this ready made.
Blend bawang kecil, bawang putih, halia, chilli padi, serai, cili boh and lengkuas till its fine. Marinade the limpa with all the blended ingredients. Leave for at least 5 minutes, more if you want to.

The Method
• Heat up some oil in your wok at medium flame.
• Once its hot, put in the marinated limpa. Add a bit of water and mix well.
• Leave it to simmer until its slightly dry. Keep mixing so that it doesn't stick to the bottom of the wok and leave for awhile till it dries further, not too dry though.
• When it is thick and slightly dry, lower the flame and add the kerisik. Mix well.
• Add the thick coconut milk. Just a bit though so it is wet. This is for the gravy.
• Add salt to taste.
• Leave it for awhile longer and its ready to be served.

Tip
Leave a bit of limpa and gravy in the wok. Add some leftover rice and mix well. Taste good. ;-)

Here is the video. Mum, Bibik and my dad are in this video.



So... masak lah dengan kasih sayang. Memang lagi sedap. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. hhmmmmm.........yummmilicious....luv the part nasi sejuk campur ngan lebihan gravy limpa.... sure sedap...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe really remind me of my mum's cooking.. I thank God i come across your Blog as it really make my day to find such a lovely recipes with lovely videos of your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Nice video bro. Will try it! Thanks from Canada

    Shah

    ReplyDelete